How to reproduce: Modify dotfiles and scripts in the home directory on multiple machines without keeping track of the changes.
- Lots of manual work to synchronize and merge changes.
- Uncertainty about which changes exist where.
- Lost work because of minor mistakes or giving up on complex merges.
What should happen: Changes should be reproducible, visible and simple enough to be merged.
How to fix: Use version control.
- Fork an existing version controlled home directory.
git clone --recursive git://github.com/your-user/tilde.git
- Merge with your existing home directory.
make cleanto do miscellaneous cleanup before you
make installto create symbolic links from your home directory to the repository.
pullon any machines which need your changes.
That's pretty much all there is to this workflow, really. There's a ton of
commands with descriptive tags in
for Bash, Vim, Awesome WM, screen layouts, email tools, and much more that you
can copy (and criticize) all you want.
No webmentions were found.